Monday, August 19, 2013

It's Testimony Time!!!

What is your testimony?  What miracle did God do in your life to bring you into salvation?  Do you ever stop to think about how the change he has made in you is nothing short of a miracle ?  It is.  He actually changed your wants and desires.  He gave you the mental and physical strength to disobey your flesh.  Every Christian has a testimony.  Every Christian  has a past.  And as a result, every Christian is a walking miracle.  But sometimes, we don't act like it.  Sometimes we don't look like it and we don't feel like it.

I remember when I first became a Christian,  I didn't even know what a testimony was.  I equated the word testimony with the older women who would sing how God brought them from a " mighty long way."  And once I found out what was a testimony, I ignorantly shrugged it off thinking mine wasn't that big, nothing to talk about.  Saying, without saying," my sins are not so bad."  Unconsciously, labeling sins like fries, small, medium and large.

I'm not sure when I first started, but at one point in my life I made it a game to physically steal something everyday.  And I was very successful.  And one day, literally right after I had stolen something, I felt guilty.  I mean like super guilty.  I couldn't ignore the thoughts telling me I was wrong for stealing.  It was like God had came over the p a system in my head and just started telling me how I knew better and how wrong I was.  It was blaring.  It was so loud no other thoughts could even get in!  

Now, you would think,  if taking something was so easy for me, putting it back would be just as easy, right? No!  I walked back into the establishment, nervous and all uncomfortable.  I quickly and casually put the item back where I got it from.  Walked out of there and never stole a single thing like that again.   (I say " like that again" because I have come home with office pens and sticky pads before and even though we don't really call it stealing, it is.).  

Now that was major.  I was addicted to stealing and The Holy Spirit had to convict me.  I was addicted to alcohol, I was addicted to my flesh.  I use to look to everything but God,  for comfort, joy, peace, excitement and fulfillment.  And he changed me!  That is major.  But what I did and what some of us still do is compare and label.  I labeled sins as small medium and large and then I compared my sins to others.  So, when it was time to share my testimony, I would begin with a shrug and say well it was nothing major.

 But if our testimony is so minor, so basic like we sometimes believe, then we wouldn't have needed a savior.  Jesus Christ did not come to earth and get brutally killed for nothing.  There is no such thing as small, medium and large sins. My sin of stealing was just as bad as someone else's sin of adultery or murder or homosexuality.

So, the next time you have the opportunity to share your testimony, share it!  Share it gladly.  Don't be ashamed of it or fall for the lie that your testimony is nothing.  Your testimony is amazing.  And if Christ is your savior, he gave that testimony to You! 

1 comment:

  1. What a great post, Syreeta! It's tempting to think that a testimony isn't a big deal if it doesn't include "big sins." But we ALL fall short of His glory and all need his incredible mercy to save us. Thanks for your encouragement to share what Jesus has done for us!

    ReplyDelete