Thursday, August 15, 2013

Fried Chicken

I am a hypocrite.  I am patiently waiting for my kids to go upstairs after eating a great dinner, (spaghetti) so I can feast on a peanut butter and raspberry jam sandwich.  I would never, in a million years let them eat a PB&J sandwich for dinner when a perfectly good meal has been prepared for them.  And I know it is wrong, hence I am hiding it from them.
When I was little I remember my mother saying "Do as I say, not as I do!"  Total hypocrisy!  And I would get upset because my thinking was, well if you are doing it and are fine, I want to do it too!  Now that I am older, I find myself on the other side of the conversation.  And it's still hypocrisy!  If they only knew, I do not like tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, or liver, but if dinner is made with either one of those ingredients, I would strongly suggest they eat it, or wake up the next morning, hungry!
Hypocrisy is so disappointing.  And in the world of fair and unfair, well you know, it's not fair.  But another angle of this, that is convicting is that while my skewed logic says I want my kids to eat what is good for their bodies, heart and mind, I myself am doing something that could potentially be very bad for them, heart and mind.  If I was to die from bad eating habits at an early age, my kids would be devastated.  So, essentially, I am hurting not only myself, but my babies, by devouring things I know is not good for me.
One day. I will be able to say I used to love fried chicken, or a nice big BLT hold the L and T.  Unfortunately today is not that day.  The sandwich has been devoured and I had fried chicken the other day.
  

1 comment:

  1. yes I remember you hated tomatoes, but you loved ketchup, I thought it was strange

    ReplyDelete